What canI do if it has been over 6 weeks and I have not received my security deposit?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if it has been over 6 weeks and I have not received my security deposit?

In my lease contract, it was stated that my security deposit would be returned within 30 days. The rental office even checked out the place before we left and said everything was good and we would receive the deposit within 30 days. I called the rental office under the management but all they do is give me the number to the mgt with no other help. I have tried contacting the management many times and left messages but no one has called me back regarding this nor has anyone even picked up. I’ve been contacting them for the past 2 weeks to no avail. What should I do?

Asked on October 27, 2010 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Here is the law: the landlord must return the security, less any lawful deduction, to the tenant at the end of the lease or within a reasonable time thereafter.  Your lease gave a specific time frame here so you are even in better shape contractually than the 30 to 60 day that the law will allow.  Reasonableness, though, is up to the courts to decide or the State attorney General's Office, whom you can contact here for help:  (212) 416-8000.  Try them and see what they can do for you before you take these people to small claims court. They may be able to make a call and the money may appear.  No one likes to be on the rceiveing end of a call from them. Good luck.

For more

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption