What to do about restitution after my probation has ended?

UPDATED: Jan 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about restitution after my probation has ended?

My probation will come to an end in a few days after 3 years. During this time, with 1 monthly exception, I made all my probation and restitution payments. Now I will still have $75,000 outstanding. The county clerk said I may have a civil suit brought against me and liens made against income and assets. My original plea was “nolo contendere” which I thought prevented civil action. What are my rights and obligations going forward as to clearing my record and making restitution arrangements?

Asked on January 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there was an order of restitution stemming from your criminal conviction, that restitution order is a valid order regardless of your nolo contndere plea. Its purpose was to preclude claim adjudication against you in a civil suit stemming from the criminal action.

As to possibly having your record expunged concerning the conviction that you are writing about, you need to consult with a criminal defense attorney that files matters to expunge convictions.

The restitution order controls the monthly payments you are obligated upon assuming the order is that specific.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption