Issues about the employment contract

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Issues about the employment contract

I signed an employment contract stated that I am under a probationary period for 6 months. The contract also states that if I leave my job, I must pay the training cost equivalent to the amount of 1 month’s pay. I have been working in the company for 7 days. The HR personnel said during the meeting that if we leave, we will pay and the company will sue us if necessary. If I leave my job, can I really be sued?

Asked on April 29, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If there was no contract regarding the repayment of training costs, then you would not have to pay. However, since there was an agreement that you'd repay these costs if you quit, then if that agreement constitutes an enforceable contract. Bottom line, you will need ot pay for your training.
Here is a link to an article that will explain further:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption