What can I do f my boss treats me badly?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do f my boss treats me badly?

I have been working for a business for 2 1/2 years now and I get treated terribly. I do not get paid time and a half for my overtime. Every time that I have to miss work due to my child or emergencies, like surgery, my boss harasses me by texting me and saying how pissed he is and all kinds of stuff. Every time I miss work it is like that. Also, he lied about a raise. I’m an admin. assistant and get $9 per hour and no paid holidays, vacation, sick time or a day off without text messages. I cannot even take my lunch break without him bothering me. I want to sue them somehow but I just don’t know what to do. They are so unprofessional.

Asked on September 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is a lot of bad news and some good news. The bad news first:
1) You boss may be "pissed" and may harass you for missing work, even for emergenices or for your child--in fact, if you don't have and use vacation or personal days for this, he could terminate you.
2) Your boss may lie about a raise, or promise it, then renege on the promise.
3) There is no law requiring paid holidays, vacation, or sick days off.
But on the other hand...
4) If you are hourly, you *must* be paid overtime (that is, time-and-a-half) when you work more than 40 hours in a week. If you are not paid overtime, you can file a wage and hour complaint with the state department of labor and/or sue him (e.g. in small claims court) for unpaid overtime you can prove you worked during the last two years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption