If you fail to give notice when you quit, what can be done to you?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you fail to give notice when you quit, what can be done to you?

I quit my salaried 40k job last week without giving notice. As this is an at will state and the employee handbook stated hat giving notice was not mandatory but appreciated, however I was done with it. I received my final check in the mail and they paid me 80 hours at the minimum wage of $7.25. The paperwork I have states that quitting just puts me on the no re-hire list.

Asked on October 15, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) They can put you on a no-hire list, since in employment at will, any employer is free to decide who to hire and who to not hire, and there is no right in or to a job.
2) However, the cannot reduce your pay for work you had already done (e.g. prior to giving notice) unless there had been some written agreement stating they could do that. Otherwise, they had to pay you at the rate you'd been earning and if they don't, you could sue them for the money they should have paid, but did not (for example: sue in small claims court, as your own attorney or "pro se").

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption