Canan employee be fired without a good reason or notice?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Canan employee be fired without a good reason or notice?

I was working for a fast food chain and on Friday I got soaked with sweet tea but they would not let me call to get a change of clothes. My mother-in-law found out and called corporate. The next day an employee of my equal status called and told me I was fired. Is there anything legally that I can do to them?

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm afraid that an employee have no legal claim here.  The reason is that the majority of employment arrangements are "at will".  This means that an employee can work for an employer or not, their choice.  In turn, an employer can hire or fire and employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.  Exceptions to this would be: 1) if there is a union agreement that prohibits such action; 2) if there is an employee contract or company policy that does not allow for this; or 3) if discrimination is a factor. 

Note: The fact that a person of the equal statuts fired you has no bearing (although it is somewhat unprofessional).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption