What can I do if my lease allows for pets but my landlord says no?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my lease allows for pets but my landlord says no?

My lease states that we are allowed to have pets. When I asked my landlord she said that that is just a standard lease and that our building does not allow pets. I see that my neighbor has a pet and I keep asking for the land lord to give me the paperwork for a pet and she refuses. Is this a breach of our lease?

Asked on December 12, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A lease is a contract: whether the landlord chose to use a "standard" lease or not (as opposed to writing one customized to her needs), the fact is, once it is signed, it is binding on both parties. If the lease allows a pet, you can have one--but of course would be liable if the pet damages floors, walls, carpeting, etc. Double check that the lease does not give the landlord any veto or say in regards to pets, but if you clearly can have one, you can have one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption