Is this defamation of character and is there anything I can do about it

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is this defamation of character and is there anything I can do about it

An old company I worked for has put me down as a non rehire due to attendance. I left on my own accord with a one week notice, and had no attendance problem. I was employed there close to two years.

Asked on June 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Possibly, IF they are telling people outside the organization (e.g. prospective employers calling to confirm your background) that you were fired due to attendence issues and that is, as you write, untrue, that may be defamation, since then it would be a factual mistatement which damages your reputation...but unless you can show a concrete losse (e.g. that it cost you a job), you could likely not recover enough money to make a lawsuit worthwhile. The amount you can get in a lawsuit is related to the harm (not just emotional upset) you suffered.
If it's purely on an internal file or list that you are a non-rehire for this reason, you have no cause of action: their own internal list of reasons to not hire you is not defamation, since it is not being shared with other persons, and any employer can choose to not rehire an employee for any reason at all, even incorrect ones.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption