What can be done to stopverbal harassment?

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done to stopverbal harassment?

I am dealing with my partners ex-wife. She is a jealous person and is trying to interfere and break up our relationship. Her latest tactic has been the most extreme. She involved her child in the middle, having her tell a made-up story, which is creating a lot of tension between the families. It is not going to stop since this has been and an on-going issue for 2 years. I am fed up and didn’t know if there was any legal thing I can do to show her I am not taking this. I consider what she is doing verbal harassment, am I wrong? Is there anything I can do?

Asked on January 1, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If she's mean, annoying, irritating, etc., there's nothing you can do about this, unfortunately--there is no law against someone doing or being these things. On the other hand:

1) If she says to anyone else--i.e. any person other than yourself--false factual statements about you (e.g. she says that you stole; that you hit a child or partner; that you have drug or alcohal problem), she may be committing defamation, which is something she could be sued over. Opinions, though, don't count: so she could legally say, "I think J. Doe is an awful person," and that's "fine" under the law.  But if she says "J. Doe cheats on her taxes," that could be defamation.

2) If she makes threats, that would be a form of harassment for which she could potentially face criminal as well as civil liability--threats are not allowed/

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption