How can I fight an auto accident summons?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I fight an auto accident summons?

I was in an auto accident on account of inclement weather conditions not long ago. I was not not driving over the speed limit. However, recently I received an incredible summons. The nature of the offense reads, “Driving at a speed that was not reasonable or prudent”. The summons recognizes that the weather conditions were bad and no officer was present to check my speed. In addition, there were many accidents that day. How can I be charged here?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


Joyce Sweinberg / Joyce J. Sweinberg Associates PC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have already stated your defenses.  You can be charged because the officer chose to charge you.  Now it is up to you to contest it. You can choose to appear on your own, or you can hire counsel to represent you. If the offense with which you are charged includes an assessment of points on your license, then it makes sense to be represented.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption