What canI do about untrue remarks that have been made about and are affecting my status at work?

UPDATED: Feb 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do about untrue remarks that have been made about and are affecting my status at work?

I am a middle school custodian and have recently learned that a fellow employee has been maliciously spreading rumors that I am a child molester, which is quite untrue. I have at least 2 witnesses who have told me she was “out to get me”, and who are willing to quote her remarks. When I told the head custodian what I learned, he reported it to the principal who in turn supposedly told her to stop. However, no public retraction has been forthcoming. Teachers are avoiding me and the principal has “reassigned” me to areas where there will be less interaction with kids. I’m afraid for my future.

Asked on February 27, 2011 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) First, you could sue this person for defamation: defamation is the public (so even to one other person) making of false statements of fact (so opinions are not actionable, but a factual statement, such as you are child molestor, could be) that damages a person's reputation and/or causes others to not want to do business with that person. You could sue for monetary damages and/or for an order directing that she not  do this anymore. You should consult with a personal injury attorney about this possibility.

2) If there is any contract or agreement at your workplace and affecting your job, including a collective bargaining or union agreement, governing discipline, grievance, inter-employee disputes, etc., you could enforce the terms of that agreement and use whatever hearings or process it gives you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption