Is there such a thing as financial abuse in a marriage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there such a thing as financial abuse in a marriage?

I have been with my partner for 15 years. We have 2 children together 10 and 1 but we have only been physically married for a little over a year. I have given up my career to raise our children and he makes enough to have us live comfortably. He also travels for work often, so I am usually the only parent home. He refuses to add me to the bank account. Saying that he doesn’t want me to have access to the account and its his money. What my rights are?

Asked on May 15, 2019 under Family Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

While married, you have no right to be added to the account: the courts do not interfere in a married couple's internal or domestic or financial arrangements while they are married. If you divorce him, you'd get a share of assets and spousal support (alimony), plus child support if you get primary custody, but that's only in a divorce that a court steps in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption