Is there something I can do if my hotel room has bed bugs and I’ve been bitten?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there something I can do if my hotel room has bed bugs and I’ve been bitten?

I’ve been staying in a motel and now I have tiny bumps on my arms and a giant

bite on my elbow since moving in. They just did a bug spray and took our mattresses out.

Asked on July 7, 2018 under Personal Injury, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't effectively sue them, because the law only provides compensation in an amount related to your medical costs and seriousness of your injuries. For "tiny bumps on my arms and a giant bite on my elbow," you'd effectively get no compensation for the time, effort and cost of a lawsuit.
If you moved out the first night after bitten, you would have had a good argument for not having to pay for that night: you were not receiving a hygenic, pest-free stay, which is what you are paying for. But if you stay there after being bitten, you waive or give up that argument--you can't continue to voluntarily subject yourself to those conditions, not when you could move out, then later complain they are unacceptable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption