Is there some way that I can get a waiver for violating my lease?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there some way that I can get a waiver for violating my lease?

I live on a fixed income and could no longer afford to pay the rent at this place, so I moved to a place that is less expensive. Now they have reported me to a collection agency. I can’t possibly pay the amount they are asking for.

Asked on December 28, 2010 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  May I ask: did the landlord let you out of your lease or did you just break the lease and move?  A lease is a legally binding contract and you can not just leave and not fulfill the requirements thereunder.  If your landlord let you out of the lease then something should have been prepared that stated that and that you would not be required to pay anything further on the lease or that you were being let out of the lease without further obligation. If this is not what happened then they can come after you for the balance of the lease and report you to the credit bureaus.  I would go and seek help from a tenant's rights organization or legal aid with all of this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption