is there redress for FALSE harassment complaints?

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

is there redress for FALSE harassment complaints?

a co-worker has made (2) official serious accusations of harrassment against me in less than 1 year. both complaints were seriously and thoroughly investigated and found to be FALSE, and completely unfounded. i have not felt negatively impacted, but do fear continued false, and perhaps accelerating accusations could be damaging. i completely feel there should be disciplinary action attached to this, as it has now become harrassment for ME!

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If this behavior seems to be repetitive and you feel you are now being harassed the first step should be to go through the same motions the individual making the complaints against you did. Whatever system your place of employment has for reporting issues of harassment should be visited.

If the employer cannot do anything you can always contact a local employment attorney and explain the situation. However prior to making this step you may want to wait to see if in fact your predictions of continued accusations does occur. Whether there will be a valid cause of action will largely depend on whether there is an effect (i.e. you have suffered x injury as a result of the accusations)

First attempt to remedy this problem in house if not possible attempt to have a consultation with an attorney to review any options you may have

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption