Is there anyway to remove a Class B misdemeanor from my record and if so how?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anyway to remove a Class B misdemeanor from my record and if so how?

I was charged with a Class B misdemeanor Fail to Identify Police Officer. I recently graduated and I am having trouble finding a job because this keeps popping up on my background check. Is there anyway to remove this from my record and, if so, how? I am in need of employment and am wondering the best way to go about dealing with this stupid mistake.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were convicted of a misdemeanor and as a result are having trouble getting a job due to background checks showing the conviction, one possibility is to look into getting the conviction expunged. If a petition to expunge is successful, then the conviction for all intents and purposes never happened.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about possibly filing a petition to expunge this conviction. There is no guarantee that the petition would be approved. The court looks at the type of conviction sought to be expunged, how long ago was the conviction, what the person has done since the conviction and the purpose of seeking the expungement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption