Is there anyway to get my stepdad back into the U.S. after being deported without waiting 10 years?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anyway to get my stepdad back into the U.S. after being deported without waiting 10 years?

He was in a car accident (he only harmed himself and has no criminal record) due to DUI. When he was taken in for questioning he admitted that he was in the United States illegally since his visa expired. He has been here for 9 years. My mom went with him to help him out while he waits to be able to come back and now I am with them too. However, my brother is still in the US and we all want to go back together and be a family again. The only reason he didn’t get his papers by marrying my mom is because he was waiting for his divorce to come out in Uruguay.

Asked on January 14, 2012 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


Dustin Bankston / Bankston Immigration Law Office

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your mother is a US Citizen and legally married to your stepdad, he could potentially file for a waiver of the 10-year bar.  However, he would have to show extreme hardship on your mother.

The waiver is filed on from I-601.  You file it along with the I-130 to adjust status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption