What can be done to enforce a rule that was written in a lease?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done to enforce a rule that was written in a lease?

I live in a mobile home trailer park and there are a lot of children living here. These children don’t respect other’s property, are never watched by parents/guardians, and make too much noise. One of my neighbors read in the contract that there are to be no children in the streets. The manager or person in charge is aware of this, but has done nothing to enforce it.

Asked on August 30, 2010 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should speak with an attorney. There are several possibilities:

1) If  the leases and/or community rules restrict certain behavior, it *may* be possible to enforce those rules; though note that the rules would themselves have to be legal and enforceable (not all anti-children rules might be) and also that there are sometimes issues about enforcing rules in someone else's lease (or contact) against them or their children.

2) Regardless of the above, there's something called a "covenant of quiet enjoyment" which states the people who lease property should be allowed to enjoy it free from unreasonable disturbance. This can be enforced both directly against the landlord (if he is violating it) or indirectly (if the landlord is allowing other tenants to disturb you), so you might have some recourse here.

3) You might have rights directly against the children's family for tresspassing and/or disturbing the peace.

4) There might be local noise ordinances (e.g. how late can noise be made outside) that can be enforced.

5) It might be possible, if children are not being supervised, to report the families to the proper child welfare/family authorities.

An attorney can help you determine how best to protect your rights. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption