Is there anything that can be done to keep someone from incessently filling false charges on me?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything that can be done to keep someone from incessently filling false charges on me?

Due to family drama I have a stepmother who has convinced my grandmother to press charges on me for theft; I had signed some checks for my grandmother with her permission. If I am not convicted of theft, they’ve already told the investigator they will ask the DA to file forgery charges, then identity theft and the cycle goes on. If I’m am found not guilty of the theft, is there a way to keep them from continuing to try and have charges pressed on me? This is all very silly family drama that is interferring with my everyday life. Isn’t this harrassment or slander or something?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you constantly have a third person filing what you call frivolous actions against you and making false claims, you should consult with a personal injury attorney to see if you may have the basis for a malicious prosecution action and or a basis to bring an motion to deem that this person is a "vexatious litigant".

Potentially this attorney may come up with a way to end the issues that you are being subjected to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption