Is there anything I can do to help drop charges against my live-in boyfriend?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do to help drop charges against my live-in boyfriend?

My boyfriend and I were arguing and things got physical when I decided to leave. I called my mother and sister to come get me. My mom called the police and pressed charges. The police had me fill out statement against him but I specified that the bruises I had came from an accident 3 days prior and had proof from the hospital. Well now they have enhanced his charge when in reality and truthfully he didn’t hit me. His attorney is getting the hospital records. Is there anything else that I’m able to do?

Asked on January 13, 2019 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your boyfriend's attorney seems to be handling things here. As they may or may have expained to you, it is up to the state and not the alleged victim as to whether or not charges are pressed. If there is sufficient enough evidence to go forward with the case without your cooperation, then they will do so. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption