Is there anything I can do about a breach of fiduciary duty?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do about a breach of fiduciary duty?

My mother was left executor of her late parents will. In the event of her passing, her husband becomes executor, and after he passes, the estate and trust was to go to me and my 4 siblings. We recently found out about this, and also that somehow, my mother and her husband lost the house in a foreclosure, after getting a reverse mortgage on the house. I have been asking them both for a copy of the will and they keep stalling. Suddenly, my step-father’s name is not on anything, only my mother’s name. My mother is claiming there is 130,000 left from the original trust. My step-father claims it is untrue. My siblings and I have never been notified of anything, including a copy of the will itself.

Asked on May 28, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you believe, as you evidently do, that an executor has breached fiduciary duty through either self-dealing (engaging in transactions for her benefit, not the benefit of the beneficiaries) or carelessness (making unreasonably bad or careless choices; fiduciaries are held to a duty of care as well as honesty), you can bring an action in chancery court (a part or divisision of county court) seeking to make the fiduciary "account" for her actions. If she has been found to have breached her duty, she can be required to personally repay wrongfully taken or carelessly lost amounts. Such an action can be procedurally complex; you are advised to consult with a probate or trusts and estates attorney about this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption