Is there anything I can do to get my assault charge lowered or dropped if the victim changes her original statement

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do to get my assault charge lowered or dropped if the victim changes her original statement

The victim in my case is my girlfriend and wants to change her original
statement what can she say to help me

Asked on March 25, 2016 under Criminal Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that if your girlfriend changes her statement or attempts not to give testimony against you in court, it may not result in having your charges dropped or lowered. While it would be easier to prosecute you with her cooperation, if there is other credible and convincing evidence that you committed the crime, the state may move forward with the case. Typically, prosecutors are aware that defendants can and do try to intimidate their victims into not cooperting. At this point, you should consult directly with a local criminal law attorney. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption