Is there anything I can do if my employer won’t let me go back to full-time after dropping to part-time due to my daughter’s medical condition?

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do if my employer won’t let me go back to full-time after dropping to part-time due to my daughter’s medical condition?

My daughter was born with a deformity. Due to her surgery and having to go back to the Mayo clinic once a week, I had to drop to 32 hours a week; I was running out of vacation pay. I thought this would benefit everyone. The verbal agreement was that I could return to full-time once her appointments went to once a month. Now they do not want to let me return to full-time.

Asked on July 7, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately I'm afraid that here really isn't much that you can do about all of this. In an "at will" employment situation an employer can hire/fire at its discretion and increase/decrease salary/hours, promote/demote, and generally impose requirements as it sees fit.  This is true unless company policy or a union/employment contract provides otherwise, or your employer's actions are the result of discrimination employer can make. In turn, an employee can work for an employer or not, their choice. 

Since you did not indicate that any of the above exceptions are applicable to your case, you have no grounds for claime against your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption