Is there any way to get speeding tickets off your record if you’ve already taken defensive driving?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way to get speeding tickets off your record if you’ve already taken defensive driving?

I have a few speeding tickets still on my record. I can’t take defensive driving so I can’t take it again but I would like to know how to get it off my record?

Asked on November 14, 2011 under General Practice, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been convicted of various traffic infractions where you no longer have the option to take a course such as "defensive driving", unfortunately those infractions that you have been convicted of remain on your record for driving permanently.

Usually the court gives a person who has been charged with a driving infraction to take a course in "defensive driving" in lieu of getting an actual conviction. Once the course is used up in a certain time period (usually 5 years), one cannot take the course in lieu of the conviction and penalty as to another offense.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption