Is there any way for divorce/separation to be expedited if there is a risk of endangerment or loss of quality of life for children involved?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any way for divorce/separation to be expedited if there is a risk of endangerment or loss of quality of life for children involved?

A close 16-year old friend of mine is stuck in a house with a father who is withholding, controlling, and emotionally abusive. Her mother and her father are preparing to divorce, but neither the father nor the mother will give up the house. It is almost 100% likely that the children will stay with the mother, as my friend and her younger brother are both expected to give statements strongly stating their preferences. Currently, however, my friend, her brother, and her mother are stuck living with this man, who is exercising any last bit of control he can. Can this be changed?

Asked on March 18, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are a very good friend to be writing.  There is a lot that can be done but her Mother will need to take the steps necessary to do so.  She cn ask for temproary custody of the children and occupancy of the house while the divorce is pending.  Why she has not done so is unknown.  In the meantime, maybe your friend and her brother can stay with a relative until the divorce is final.  All determinations are made by a court in "the best interest of the child."  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption