What are my options regarding a promised raise thatI never received?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options regarding a promised raise thatI never received?

I was told I would receive a raise for my yearly review. I received my review and told what my raise would be; 2 separate people above me said it was coming. My GM was then fired and now my corporate office is now refusing to pay me my raise and retro owed for 8 months of back pay.

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The problem that I see for you unfortunately is that you were promised a raise, but were never given the raise due to assorted internal issues with your employer that you have written about.

If your review was actually written up and the written review states that you were to receive a raise in such an amount, then you should be entitled to the raise. If the written was not written up and there is no mention of a raise, then you will have a hard time getting the raise based upon what happened at your last review. I would ask to see your personnel file.

After reviewing the file, you should have a meeting with your human resources department about the issue you are writing about to see what can be done or have a meeting with your new supervisor about the promised raise to see what can be done.

From an employer's perspective, it is not good to have an employee who does good work become unhappy at work over a situation not caused by her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption