Is there any legal action I can take?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any legal action I can take?

I was recently terminated from a job due to a
Facebook review left by someone. The
employer has refused to pay me for the last
month I worked. They lied to unemployment
and that got me denied. They told me Im too
fat to do the job correctly. They are making
false statements about me…

Asked on May 4, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are taking the primary legal actions you can: appealing the unemployment denial and filing a wage complaint. You could also sue the employer for you last month's pay: the law is clear that even if fired, you must be paid for all the work you did up until the moment of termination. 
But all you are entitled to is the pay you should have received and the unemployment to which you are entitled (based on what you write, there is no basis to deny you unemployment). Because employment is "employment at will" in this country, the employer could legally terminate you due to a bad Facebook review. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption