Is there any legal action I can take against a landlord who habitually rents to drug dealers?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there any legal action I can take against a landlord who habitually rents to drug dealers?

The rental property next door to me has been rented out to individuals who are clearly conducting illegal activities at the property. This has been going on for about 10 years. The landlord is fully aware of the illegal activity but continues to rent to scum.

Asked on June 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the owner of the proeprty next to you habitually rents to drug dealers, then potentially you can contact law enforcement or your city council about a "nuisance" next door to you where in the end an injunction could be filed against the owner of the property and its inhabitants to cease and desist all further drug use and distribution.

Potentially you might wish to consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption