Is there a way to get out of a 5-year commercial lease?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to get out of a 5-year commercial lease?

Have not signed lease and don’t want to do a 5-year, but it is a prime location
for my business. The Landlord originally had listed as a 2-year when I looked at
with realtor, and I offered to do a 1 year with 4 mos. rent and security. He
verbally agreed, but then showed to another potential Lessee who said they would
do a 5-year. When my realtor shared that info with me, I then said I would do a
5-year. Just wondering if any outs if I do sign??

Asked on July 31, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you sign the lease, you are locked into and cannot get out of it unless:
1) There is some early termination clause in the lease and you fully comply with it.
2) The landlord violates his/her/its obligations under the lease in some material or important way.
Otherwise, the lease is a binding contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption