Is there a way to get my son back into the pubic school system if charges of sexual assault were dropped?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to get my son back into the pubic school system if charges of sexual assault were dropped?

My 16 year old son was arrested over the summer for sexual assault. A week later the charges were dropped. Yesterday we got notice that he has to attend an alternative school and cannot be on public school system grounds for the county (not sure if this is all counties in FL or just this one). The Supertendant says he needs something that the crime never happened not that just the charges were dropped. What can we do to get him back into the school system as he is innocent.

Asked on August 4, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your question is really one dealing with your state's Educational Code as opposed to a criminal matter. As such, I recommend that you consult with an attorney who practices law in the educational field.

A caveat for you is that under this country's judicial system a person is innocent until proven guilty. Given the circumstances surrounding your son, the criminal charges were dropped against him. Many times people are arrested for a crime but never convicted. Just because a person has been arrested for a crime, that does not mean that person committed a crime.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption