Is there a way to get my son move closer to us. He is in upper mich. and we my wife and i cant go see him.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to get my son move closer to us. He is in upper mich. and we my wife and i cant go see him.

My wife has heart problems and i have C O P D. and liven on a fix income. My wife cant travel much in a car she gets sick. and we dont have a good car . We put in request to doc. and they said they would try to get him closer. then they put him even farther away and told us to bad in a nasty way is there any thing we can do .We need help bad. We have no money liven on a fix income. way do the family have to suffer his kids his whole family

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm reading into your question, that your son is serving a prison term for a felony.  If that's the case, I very much doubt that there is anything that can be done here.

In most states, the prison system has the ability to put any prisoner anywhere it wants, within a few limits (juvenile offenders aren't put with adults, etc.).  The prison system doesn't have any requirement to make choices that are more convenient for the prisoners or their families.  A prison sentence is a punishment, it is intended to be a hardship, and while we could wish for more understanding for situations like yours, it often doesn't happen.

I'm not a Michigan lawyer, and I don't have all of the facts of your son's case.  If you want to pursue this, for advice you can rely on, please see an attorney in your area.  One place to find counsel is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption