Is there a way to get creditors to reverse adverse information reported to the credit bureaus in order to raise your score?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to get creditors to reverse adverse information reported to the credit bureaus in order to raise your score?

I have charge offs and collections on my credit report due to financial difficulties and would like to knoe if there is a way to have creditors reverse the information. Is it possible to get them to give me a break because unless I can get a mortgage I will never have extra money to pay off these debts. I have tried a firm that specializes in cleaning up credit reports but they have not succeded in diputing items on my reports.

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

My experience is that companies that help one clean up their credit scores are the best way to try to get credit reporting companies to assist in cleaning up ones credit report. As a general rule credit reporting companies have no real incentive in dealing with individuals themselves who are trying to clean up their own credit reports.

My suggestion is to start calling up the credit reporting companies on your own to see what can be done to improve your credit scores.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption