Is there a way to get a lawyer for free? My husband threw out all my belongings

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way to get a lawyer for free? My husband threw out all my belongings

I’ve been separated for 3 years. I was getting spousal support but not anymore. The last time i went to court he agreed to let me get my stuff out of the house, however I’ve been back and forth to motels and had no room for anything…us, I had a lot going on because I had a baby and was dealing with the father. Well, I finally went to the house today 3 years later with 2 policemen and he admitted to the police that he got rid of all my stuff. Threw it all out…I have no receipts for any of those things but it’s worth about $3,000 at least. Problem is, I have no money for a lawyer…what can I do? The cop told me he wrote it down and it’s in his notes that my husband admitted to getting rid of it. I had no way of contacting him these 3 years because he doesn’t answer the phone to me or hangs up. I even wrote him a letter before and never got a response. I live further away so I wasn’t able to stop by the house and I didn’t feel safe anyway.

Asked on May 21, 2016 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

To find a lawyer for free, you should check with Legal Aid or there may be some law firms in your area that do pro-bono work.  Another possibility is occasionally there are legal clinics where attorneys do volunteer work.  Another possibility is to check with law schools in your area which may have law students who can help you at no cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption