Is there a way I can show that I had car insurance after my license has been suspended without having to go to court?

UPDATED: May 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way I can show that I had car insurance after my license has been suspended without having to go to court?

I got pulled over and my proof of insurance was expired. The police officer said he wouldn’t cite me for it but to just get updated proof. Then I came to find out he did cite me and my license was suspended. I have proof of insurance which I showed the courts but they said I would have to go to pretrial first and go to trial then. Now I have no way of driving and need to be able to get to work. Is there something I can do to prove I had insurance and get my license reinstated or do I have no choice but to wait and go to my trial and show proof there?

Asked on May 8, 2012 under General Practice, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way for you to try and resolve the criminal charge against you for not having valid insurance in place when you were driving a motor vehicle is for you to retain a criminal defense attorney to see if he or she can manage to get the charge dismissed upon showing the district attorney that you now have insurance in place to drive an auto.

I do not recommend that you try and resolve the dispute on your own for the simple fact that you will most likely do worse representing yourself than if you had a criminal defense representing you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption