Is there a way for me to find out if someone has an immigration hold?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a way for me to find out if someone has an immigration hold?

Someone has been arrested for domestic abuse. His bail out is $40,000. However, it’s been said that the girlfriend has hit him and thrown him out of the house twice before. I did witness scratches and bruises once on him, though at the time he said he had gotten into a fight. I don’t want to justify his wrongdoing but if she beats on him too, could or should we try to fight this as self-defense? And even if we got rid of the charges, would he get deported?

Asked on April 16, 2009 under Criminal Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Who is we? If he doesn't have an attorney, he needs one now.  Try the public defender's office or a private criminal defense attorney ( or the Georgia state bar).

In terms of deportation, he needs to talk to his lawyer to determine if the prosecutor is seeking deportation. 

In terms of self-defense, if she wasn't charging him or hitting him that night, without provocation and he didn't react to it, then it is NOT self-defense.  In fact, if you go with this line of argument and she wasn't beating him that night (no wounds inflicted on him that night), the prosecutor may consider it pre-meditated.

So, he needs to talk to his lawyer.  If you are not his lawyer, do not egg him on and do not attempt to get involved in the defense unless you can provide his lawyer with solid proof of evidence to help him with any affirmative defenses.  The attorney may not want him to take the stand if it goes to trial.  If this is his first offense, perhaps a plea bargain will take this out of court-- perhaps his lawyer could get charges dropped.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption