Is there a time limit on how long HR doesn’t process paperwork?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a time limit on how long HR doesn’t process paperwork?

I was hired by a company in Detroit in summer 2017 as a temporary employee. I work full-time 40 hrs a week and don’t get benefits, since temporary employees aren’t required to receive benefits for a year. In January, my bosses decided to hire me and convert me into a permanent employee, and turned in all the paperwork. It’s now March, and HR still hasn’t processed the paperwork to give me a pay raise benefits. In the meanwhile, I’ve seen 8 new employees hired on permanently, while HR says they haven’t had the time to process my employment change. Is there a time limit on how long HR can sit on my paperwork? I think our HR department is trying to maintain the temp status of my employment for the full year, rather than paying out my benefits. I actually enjoy my job, and I’d rather not leave this company but is my best option to leave due to how I’m being treated?

Asked on March 8, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no time limit and you have no right to the conversion to full-time status, and the employer (and their HR department) has no obligation to process the paperwork or conversion. Remember: employment is employment at will. The employer decides whether and when to hire someone or change their status; the employer can do it whenever they like, take as long as the like, and can stall it indefinitely or even renege on their promise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption