Is there a statute of limitations on how long a Drs. Office can go without billing you?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a statute of limitations on how long a Drs. Office can go without billing you?

Dr. Office just sent me a bill on a
charge they claim insurance did not
cover back in 2012.

Asked on April 26, 2019 under Insurance Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes there is--and they are past it. This would be considered a claim founded or based in contract: on the agreement, whether written or oral (unwritten) between you and the doctor that he would provide treatment in exchange for pay. The statute of limitations, whether written or oral, for a contract action in your state is only 3 years, so at 7 years, they are far too late to enforde it or take legal action against you. They can ask you to pay--anyone can ask anything--but you can refuse to do so and they cannot do anything about it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption