Is there a statute of limitation regarding the state honoring a court decision?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a statute of limitation regarding the state honoring a court decision?

There is a court order dating back 27 years ago and the state hasn’t honored the terms of the contract. Is this grounds to sue? Is there a statute of limitation for the state honoring a court order?

Asked on November 28, 2018 under Business Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A final court judgment in your state (South Carolina) can be enforced for up to ten (10) years after it was issued. A court order from 27 years ago would be beyond the statute of limitations; it would also (even if it were not) likely be barred by the doctrine of "laches" which states that if someone waits unreasonably long to enforce their rights, the courts will no longer enforce them, since the passage of time is unfair to the other side (documents are lost, witnesses die or move away, and it becomes unfairly difficult for the other side to respond).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption