Is there a statute of limitations for a probation revokation in Arkansas?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a statute of limitations for a probation revokation in Arkansas?

Asked on April 29, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't understand.  Please reformulate your question, give more details and resubmit. 

As to probation issues in Arkansas:


(a)(1)(A)(i)Whenever an accused enters a plea of guilty or nolo contendere prior to an adjudication of guilt, the judge of the circuit or district court, in the case of a defendant who has not been previously convicted of a felony, without making a finding of guilt or entering a judgment of guilt and with the consent of the defendant may defer further proceedings and place the defendant on probation for a period of not less than one (1) year, under such terms and conditions as may be set by the court.

(ii)A sentence of a fine not exceeding three thousand five hundred dollars ($3,500) or an assessment of court costs against a defendant does not negate the benefits provided by this section or cause the probation placed on the defendant under this section to constitute a conviction except under subsections (c)-(e) of this section.

John Franklin WILLIAMS v. STATE of Arkansas

CR 02-21 ___ S.W.3d ___

Supreme Court of Arkansas

Opinion delivered December 5, 2002 Criminal law -- revocation -- State's burden. -- To revoke probation or a suspended sentence, the burden is on the State to prove violation of a condition of probation or the suspended sentence by a preponderance of the evidence; because the burdens are different, evidence that is insufficient for a criminal conviction may be sufficient for a probation or suspended sentence revocation; thus, the burden on the State is not as great in a revocation hearing; since determination of a preponderance of the evidence turns on questions of credibility and weight to be given to the testimony, the supreme court defers to the trial judge's superior position.



If you don't have a lawyer and need help, please try and the Arkansas state bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption