Is there a statue of limitation to collect from accident claim?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a statue of limitation to collect from accident claim?

Accident happened approximately 14 years ago. Just received notice from
DMV of suspension of driver’s license due to suit filed in regards to this
claim which happened in another state. Prior to this notice, I had no
knowledge of this lawsuit.

Asked on April 8, 2018 under Accident Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is a statute of limitations (SOL), but it is impossible to say what it would be in your case without more information:
1) The SOL varies state-by-state. If the claim was filed in another state,  the SOL will be for that state, not Mississippi.
2) If you were actually sued and a judgment obtained againt you by default (even if in error--i.e. without you receiving notice of it, and so subject to being vacated), the SOL would be the SOL for enforcing a judgment, which can be very long--up to 20 years.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption