Is there a reasonably simple, tax effective way to transfer my savings at my death?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a reasonably simple, tax effective way to transfer my savings at my death?

Past my children, past my grandchildren for the educational benefit of my great grandchildren, if any, and beyond. If no progeny at that generation to give all to a specific qualified charity of my choice, all administered by “retained” professionals who would be responsible for the year to year accounting, tax reporting and following my directions for benefit qualification requirements. Should I establish residence in a “better” state (and any other major contingent that I have missed).?

Asked on October 20, 2013 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The easiest, tax effective way to transfer money at your death is to put the money in a revokable trust and make the beneficiaries the people you want to leave money to.  You can do the same thing by setting up an account with a pay-on-death provision.  But you can't do any of these things if your beneficiaries have no names and have not been born yet.  You could with a charity.  You should hire a wills, trusts and estates attorney in your area to help you set this up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption