Os there a minimum wage for an employee who does not receive overtime?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Os there a minimum wage for an employee who does not receive overtime?

Do you have to be paid double the minimum wage if you do not receive overtime and work more than 40 hours a week?

Asked on February 21, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is a minimum wage for ALL employees--it's the same for everyone.
To be exempt from overtime, you must be paid a salary, not an hourly wage, and that salary must be at least $455/week. (You also have to meet one or more of the "exemptions" from overtime which you can find on the U.S. Dept. of Labor website.) Since CA minimum wage is currently $11/hour, or $440/week for 40 hours, you can be exempt from overtime at significantly less than double minimum wage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption