Is there a legal way to break a commercial lease?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a legal way to break a commercial lease?

Do the same “uninhabitable” laws apply to commercial tenants as residential? My business was damaged by a storm 3 months ago. The landlord said it would take 2 weeks to fix the structural damage. Now 2 months have now passed and no repairs have been made. I have since hard to shut the business down for safety reasons. With one year remaining on my lease, is there anything I can do?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yhe implied Warranty of Habitability does not apply to commercial leases.  It applies only to residential leases.  But your siutation would seem to give rise to a breach in your agreement.  You should speak with ana ttorney not only about the lease but about the loss of income claim for having to shut your doors.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption