Is there a good chance I get denied for the CPA exam because I have a couple marijuana charges?

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a good chance I get denied for the CPA exam because I have a couple marijuana charges?

I have 4 charges against me from when I was 18-21. I am now 24 and have been clean since. I am looking to become a CPA in NJ and want to know if this will keep me from getting accepted to sit for the exam. Thanks for your help.

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Business Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

From my read of the CPA application is does not look as though you are automatically barred from sitting for the exam and getting licensed.  But you will have to disclose the offenses and give a detailed explanation of them.  The Accountancy Board then hasthe discretion as to whether or not you will be allowed to obtain your credentials.

Here is a link to the New Jersey Accountancy Board:

Look this over and if you still have any questions just call them directly and see what they have to say.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption