Is there a general place where I can find out if there is money owed to someone who has passed away?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a general place where I can find out if there is money owed to someone who has passed away?

I was wondering if there was a web site or a place I could contact to find out if there is money owed to my aunt. She has passed away and I am trying to get all of her affairs together, but I am not sure if there is money out there that can be put into her estate.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

Check the state government website in the state where your aunt lived.  There should be a link on that website for unclaimed property.  Enter your aunt's name.  There should also be instructions on that website for obtaining the appropriate claim forms by which an heir can receive the unclaimed property (money). 

The claim forms are easy to complete.  Don't respond to any offers/letters you receive from companies offering to obtain the unclaimed property for you for a fee; a percentage of the amount of the unclaimed property.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption