Is the state responsible for an accident if a tree is across the road and someone hits it.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the state responsible for an accident if a tree is across the road and someone hits it.

My son had an accident involving a tree that had fallin down across the road. He was ok but it did alot of damage to the vehicle. The state if Tennessee

Asked on May 15, 2009 under Accident Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although this depends entirely on the facts, if the tree was in the road, and it could have been seen in time to stop by the reasonable driver who was driving in compliance with law (such as lights on, withing the speed limit, etc.), it seems to me your son would be primarily negligent.

On the other hand if the tree was in a blind spot in the road, the state had knowledge that it was there for some time, yet it did nothing to take it off the road or mark it to enable drivers to know it was there and stop in time, the state or municipality may have some of the blame.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption