Is a seller responsible for repairs even after closing?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a seller responsible for repairs even after closing?

Prior to closing on our house, the sellers agreed to have the HVAC serviced, because the inspection report said the unit was “inefficient” in cooling the home. They had the unit recharged with freon but it appears now that after having the unit checked by our own HAVC tech, the unit should be replaced and the original problem was the coil leaking; this is 2 months after closing. Since they agreed to “service” the unit, are they liable for any charges that we incur as the current owners of the house?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, these issues do not "survive closing" unless they are provided for prior thereto in some way.  I would speak with your attorney on the matter as you say this was addressed but you though fixed.  It may in fact be too late.  The inspection should have been done prior to close.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption