Is the non compete valid in this case?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the non compete valid in this case?

I worked as an idependant consultant for a company that sold pearls and pearl jewelry. My job was to do pearl parties online, where I opened oysters for the pearls and sold settings to be made by the company owners. I am located in OR and the company is based in GA. The

Asked on August 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your state is very restrictive about enforcing non-competition agreements. Given the requirement that you must have been given a 2-week written notice that a non-compete was required for the job before you took the job, *and* that you must have had access to trade secrets, *and* most importantly, your compensatin (salary, commissions, etc.) must have exceed the median income for a family of 4 (which $500 does NOT), it does not appear that they can enforce this agreement against you in OR. Here is a link to the OR law:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption