Is an NDA that I signed still effective if a company moves to a different state and asks me to sign a new NDA?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an NDA that I signed still effective if a company moves to a different state and asks me to sign a new NDA?

I have signed an NDA, which entails general provisions that require the obligations of confidentiality to survive 2 years from the date of disclosure of proprietary information. This NDA was construed under the laws of the State of Washington. The company which required me to sign this NDA did a last minute change and relocated, requiring me to sign a new NDA that has been construed under the laws of their state. If I refuse to do so, is the old NDA in effect anymore? I live in Finland, which follows European laws, and I have limited knowledge on U.S. law.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are no longer affiliated with the company that you have written about which has relocated, then there is no contractual or legal reason for you to sign a new nondisclosure agreement (NDA).

If you refuse to sign the new NDA the old one that you signed would remain in effect in accord with Washington state and for the duration of the agreement's stated time period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption