IfI have an offer of free rent in writing can it be changed verbally by the landlord?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

IfI have an offer of free rent in writing can it be changed verbally by the landlord?

Landlord gave me 30 day notice to vacate on 06/14.  They offered to not charge me rent for the last month if I moved out by 06/30;gave it to me in writing. On 06/28 landlord called me and said the offer was only 2 weeks free rent instead of the whole month. By this time we were almost done moving out. We vacated the premises on 07/02; they said it was OKthat we took 2 extra days. I agreed to the first offer which I got in writing, not the second offer which she made on the phone 2 days before we had to move out. She charged me half months rent. How do I get my money back?

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You make a demand letter to your landlord of the offer you agreed to in writing.  You relied to your detriment and acted on her assertions.  If she still refuses to pay you the extra amount, you can contact your local landlord tenant consumer protection agency (usually the Attorney General) or HUD.  At the end of the day, if you still do not get any help, you may need to sue the landlord in landlord tenant court or small claims court to get the monies owed to you.  Oftentimes, and I believe it may hold true with California law, depending on the violation, you may be able to get treble damages (basically three times the amount owed to you).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption